...Er, um, Hello!

My name is Augustus. I have parents. Sometimes life can be difficult. I possess the great skill of being able to charm the socks off of anyone who chances to spot me, a rare occurrence indeed. [The spotting, that is; not the charming!]
However, for you, Dear Reader, I am prepared to divulge my deepest thoughts and perspective of the world, mostly because if I don't tell somebody what is going on around here, I am going to pop!
But be warned, proceed with caution: Living with Mummy and Dad can be rather harrowing at times...

Friday, February 17, 2012

I Caught A Burglar!

That is to say, I didn’t actually catch one…I saw him, though! Burglars are always out there, lurking, waiting for the right moment to strike, and I am ever vigilant to keep watch from my favorite chair by the window in case one rears its ugly head. So I should not have been surprised when one finally showed up but I have to admit I was a bit shocked to actually see one last night, and from a different window, too! Right about bedtime,  I thought it would be nice to get a change of scenery and, perhaps, see if there were any crumbs from dinner that Mummy may have missed (not likely – she cleans everything up immediately so we are hard pressed to find any tidbits ‘round here).  Since I was already on the kitchen counter (I know, I know…), I stepped up to peer out of the window above the sink to see what was cooking on the deck. And there he was, black mask and all! Moving craftily, he was snatching up every morsel of crunchy fish the outdoor cats had left behind. Man was he hungry, too – he ate everything then lifted up the dishes to look underneath for more! I almost felt sorry for him – ‘cept he was stealing fish, and that is way beyond the frozen limit. I yowled for Mummy or Dad to come see. For once they listened (go figure); they saw what I saw, and - you’ll hardly believe it - it turns out they must know this burglar ‘cause they called him Mr. Raccoon!  Well, Whoever he is, friend or no friend he ought not to be stealing fish! But Mummy and Dad did nothing, just stood there for a bit then went to bed, leaving me on the midnight watch….all alone…with the burglar. It had been several minutes since my last nap, so there was no way I would be able to stay awake much longer, and what if this bounder decided to pick the lock or something? He seemed pretty adept with his hands! I watched them trudge off to bed, then turned back to look at Mr. Raccoon. Bed, burglar..burglar, bed…Maybe everything would be alright, if Mummy and Dad weren’t worried! I stepped down and padded off after them, perhaps a bit faster than normal. At least if this burglar tried any funny business I could get behind Dad. Yessir, I’d back him up all the way! Go Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment