...Er, um, Hello!

My name is Augustus. I have parents. Sometimes life can be difficult. I possess the great skill of being able to charm the socks off of anyone who chances to spot me, a rare occurrence indeed. [The spotting, that is; not the charming!]
However, for you, Dear Reader, I am prepared to divulge my deepest thoughts and perspective of the world, mostly because if I don't tell somebody what is going on around here, I am going to pop!
But be warned, proceed with caution: Living with Mummy and Dad can be rather harrowing at times...

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Red Dawt

The night was dark, the air heavy with humidity and cat fur; quiet had crept upon the land.…
Out of nowhere it came, gliding as if on wheels, racing, spinning, darting across open spaces and shooting up the walls. This was no natural enemy, this was a foreign invader - the kind that would catch you unprepared then zap you where you stood: silent but deadly.  It whizzed past my head - *Zoop*- that was close! I crouched low, ready for it to try any funny business. Watching, waiting, lashing my fluffy tail this way and that, I caught sight of it as it jumped onto the coverlet and bounced over Nutmeg. She whirled her head in an arc to catch a glimpse of this fell creature but it was gone.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw it move again, this time on the mantel. It teetered on the edge before diving to the floor and scooting under the bed. Or did it? Suddenly to my right it appeared, spinning like a top then dashed off through the doorway. Ha! I had it now; if there is one thing I have learned about this enemy, it is that the blighted thing must come back to its mother ship. I slipped unnoticed to the door and crouched again, peering around the corner, this time positive it could not escape me. Sure enough, it came racing back so fast I almost couldn’t keep up but I pounced and slapped both paws on it, confident in my victory then **WHOA** wait, it shot up through my paws and was sitting on top! I grabbed again, it popped back up on top. I grabbed, it popped - what’s going on? I looked around...Um, I could use some help here… anyone?
Scooting along the floor now, I raced to keep hold of this slippery devil but it was too fast for me. Nobbie joined in, hot on my heels, now overtaking me in the quest to obliterate the little red creature. Nutmeg was sitting up on the bed now, eager to get involved. I shouted to her that it was heading to the other side. She ran to the edge and peered over just as I came ‘round by the foot but saw nothing – strange indeed! By now, everyone was running amok seeking this disturber of peaceful evenings. I saw Aspen situating herself in a convenient corner near the chest of drawers and naturally supposed she would be offering back up for when the foul thing passed her way but it turns out she thought the gig was to swat at passing cats instead. Fat lot of help she was! [Note to Self: Self, remember to put coal in Aspen’s Christmas stocking!]
After seeing this mysterious creature vanish and reappear and pouncing upon it with equal vigor only to see it disappear again, we became exhausted and finally had to call it quits. Strangely enough, the little beast did not show itself again that night. It must be a true warrior, understanding the value of giving its opponents a break. Until next time, Fair Enemy!

No comments:

Post a Comment